Before you decide to buy a low priced laptop, say, laptops under 200, you should certainly make sure whether you require a low priced laptop or not. It is useless to buy a low priced laptop if you are not totally sure whether or not you fall into the category of those people who require a low priced laptop. It is extremely important to know your usage. This is because low priced laptops are more than enough for casual users.
If you are someone who likes listening to music and surf the internet, these basic tasks will surely be fulfilled by a low priced laptop. Generally, people like students, surfers, travelers, office workers, music and movie enthusiasts, etc. are the ones who require low price laptops. Otherwise, if you are an advanced user, and want a laptop for tasks like editing and developing, you should increase your budget and avoid the low priced laptops.
Tips on finding the best laptops under 200 dollars
If you looking to buy laptops under 200 dollars, a high quality design is something that you would typically have to compromise on. It is usually difficult to find laptops with top design under the price of 200 dollars. You will usually find the high end and great design only the more expensive laptops. If you are looking for a top end design on your laptop, you will have to increase your budget. Having said that, it is not true that you won’t be able to find a laptop with good design under 200 dollars.
Even though the designs of these laptops are not that great, but they are certainly decent, if not good. Moreover, laptops with various colors are also available. You will surely find a laptop of your preferred color. The popular colors available include black, white, blue and red. Different shades of these colors are also available. A sleek yet stylish looking laptop is what you can find in various colors. Thin and light designs are feature of laptops under 200 dollars. Just like this picture:
Display and Graphics
When it comes to display, affordable laptops under 200 have quite decent offerings. If you are thinking that you have to compromise on display just because your budget is on the lower side, you are wrong. Some laptops at this budget offers surprisingly great display at this price range. You expect to get at least a standard display under 200 dollars.
The screen size at this budget usually ranges from 11 to 13 inches. The display resolution of these laptops is usually 1366×768. You can even get HD display at this resolution. You will generally find a HDMI port included, so you can connect your laptop to other monitor or projector.
When it comes to graphics, you will get acceptable graphics at this price. Integrated graphics card, such as integrated Intel graphics card is what you can normally find in these laptops. If you are a gamer and play games with intense graphics, laptops at this price range will not meet your requirements.
Keyboard and touchpad
Keyboard and touchpad is the basic functionality of any laptop. You would be expecting a decent keyboard and touchpad with any laptop you buy. These work as the basic input devices for a laptop. You do not compromise on these, no matter what happens. Keyboard and touchpad of laptops under 200 certainly serves its purpose. Touchpads that are spacious and comfortable to use are the highlight of such laptops.
You should be looking for keyboard and touchpad which you find the most comfortable to use. A responsive touchpad is what you must always be searching for. In fact, you might even find multifunctional or multimedia keyboard at this price range. However, finding a keyboard and touchpad with backlit is difficult at this range. If you want to use only mouse, you can use it with the laptop and neglect if the touchpad is not as decent as it should be.
Heat, Ports and Webcam
Heating can be an issue with laptops. But in case of low priced laptops, this issue is generally not present. This is because heating is seen to be an issue in case of high performance laptops. However, you should make sure that the laptop you buy does not have heating issue. When it comes to ports, the cheap laptops under 200 do a decent job.
HDMI ports are usually provided, enabling you to connect to a monitor or projector. Multiple USB ports are usually provided with these laptops and you might even get USB 3.0 port, which allows you to transfer files faster.
Webcams come with every laptop and with these cheap laptops, they do serve their purpose. They do provide you with a decent video chatting and camera function at this price range, which is more than acceptable. One common webcam that you can find in this price range is the 0.3 MP cameras, which are decent enough to do their job.
When you buy a laptop or a PC, the basic things that you should be looking for in a processor is its clock speed and the number of cores. More the number of cores, better it is for multitasking. Also, higher clock speeds means everything is processed faster, eventually resulting in a faster laptop. So, to find best laptops under 200, always look for laptop that has more number of cores and better clock speed.
The Intel dual core Celeron processors are very common in this price range, it does provide acceptable performance. The clock speeds of processor are 2.0 to 2.5 Ghz. You can even get laptops powered by quad core processor at this price range, however they are not manufactured by Intel and do not have high clock speeds.
With laptops under 200, you should not be expecting superb performance, but you can surely look for an acceptable performance. You should be able to do a bit of multitasking with your laptop. Performance drops and lags are usually faced if your play games or watch HD movies. Running several tasks at once might also lead to degradation of performance. Some basic tasks such as surfing, listening to music, streaming etc. should be easily fulfilled by the laptop.
You are likely to face performance issues if you perform hardware intensive tasks such as gaming. You will be able to play that that have lesser requirements. But for recent releases with extremely high requirements, finding laptops at this price range can be really difficult. So, at this price, you can surely expect a decent performance, but it is useless to expect high performance at this price range. If you want more of multitasking and gaming, you have no option other than increasing your budget.
If you are looking for Cheap laptops under 200 dollars for sale, you should always be looking for longer battery life. If the laptop does not have a decent battery life, its basic functionality, i.e. portability is lost. This is because you will inevitably have to use the power cable for powering up the device. Also, there is a risk of laptop being shut down while you have an important work to do.
Thankfully, with these affordable laptops, the hardware is not that demanding. So, the battery provided does suffice. 5 to 8 hours of battery life is what these laptops usually provide. Some laptops might even offer as much as 11 hours of battery life.
Obviously, battery life also depends on your usage, so also need to figure out how you are going to use your laptop. For lighter tasks such as surfing and music, you shall get decent battery life.
One of the best way of choosing a laptop is by viewing their benchmarks. Obviously, customer reviews of laptops under 200 amazon are helpful but benchmarks make it absolutely clear what to expect and what not to expect from the laptop you are considering to buy. Benchmarks are also a great way of comparing different laptops. The general rule is that the laptops with higher benchmark scores provide better performance.
There are many benchmarking sites available all over the internet. Take help from the best of the benchmarking sites to know about the benchmarks of different laptops. Benchmarking scores are just whole numbers, which are different for different laptops. You can also get graphs which compare the benchmarks of different models, making it easier for you to compare between different products.
Benchmarks generally provide you an idea of the CPU performance, RAM performance, graphical performance, etc. It is recommended that you go for the laptop with the best benchmarking score under 200 dollars. It is best to have an idea of the performance of the laptop you are about to buy, and benchmarks are certainly a great way of doing that.
Reviews of laptops under $200
HP Stream 11 Laptop
This budget friendly laptop offers a decent screen size, and comes in 11.6 inch and 13.3 inch variants. You can also get different color variants of this laptop. You also get a free 365 personal subscription along with a 1 TB One Drive Cloud Storage for one year. When it comes to storage of HP laptops under 200, this one offers 32GB of flash storage.
Pros and Cons:
- HD definition display is provided, making everything clearly visible.
- The battery life is great, it provides up to 8 hours 15 minutes of battery life.
- DTS studio Sound provides high quality sound.
- The track pad provided is not of that high quality and it is seen to read the gestures wrong.
- Not enough memory is provided, the available memory is just 21 GB
Read our complete review of HP stream 11.
ASUS Chromebook 13-Inch
This laptop is powered by Intel Dual-Core 2.16 GHz Processor with 2 GB RAM. HD display is provided in the 13.3 inch LED screed. HD webcam is also provided. Along with the 16 GB of local flash storage, 100 GB Google Drive space is provided for 2 years.
Pros and Cons:
- The most notable feature of this laptop is its surprisingly long battery life. It can offer an incredible battery life of up to 10 hours
- It weighs only 3 pounds and is ultra slim, making it highly portable.
- The touchpad provided is spacious, allowing effortless navigation and control.
- Quite significant amount of lag has been seen during multitasking, making the machine less smooth.
- The display quality isn’t that great
Read our complete review of ASUS 13 inch chromebook
Acer Aspire E 11 ES1-111M-C40S
Powered by an Intel Celeron N2840 2.16 GHz Processor whose cache memory is 1 MB, this laptop offer 2 GB of DDR3L SDRAM and also 32 GB of Internal storage. The laptop has an 11.6 inch screen is backed by Intel HD Graphics. It is loaded with the latest Windows 8.1 OS.
Pros and Cons:
- This 11 inch laptop has a clean and simple design which is stylish and functional at the same time.
- The body is slim and is only 0.83 inches thin and weighs 2.84 pounds, thus making it highly portable.
- The laptop is extremely quiet because of its fan less design. It is the quietest Acer laptop under 200 that is available in the market.
- The Laptop remains comfortably cool to touch and does not heat up too much.
- The quality of display and screen is not that great, with the viewing angle being quite poor.
- The battery life isn’t that great when compared to other models in this price range.
Read our complete review of Acer Aspire E 11 ES1-111M-C40S
Samsung Chromebook 2012 Model
Samsung Chromebook can certainly be a choice if you are searching for Samsung laptops under 200. It comes with a 2 GB DDR3L RAM along with a 16 GB Solid State Drive. It comes with a Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Processor and 11.6 Inch display. There is a Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n and a 0.3 web camera.
Pros and Cons:
- Chromebook allows you to store on the cloud, not on your machine, making it accessible anywhere.
- There is no requirement of any setup. You are good to go straight after unboxing the product.
- With this laptop, you can connect to internet in flight as you are provided with free Gogo in air internet passes.
- The build quality is not that great and the plastic gets scratched easily.
- The video playback in this laptop is not satisfactory
Read our complete review of Samsung Chromebook 2012
Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111-C670
Being one of the most decent laptops under 200, the Acer Chromebook is powered by Intel Celeron N2830 Dual Core 2.16 GHz Processor and 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM. An integrated Intel HD graphics is provided. There is a 16 GB of internal storage provided with this laptop. A 802.11AC WiFi is provided which comes with MIMO technology.
Pros and Cons:
- The display is great, with an 11.6 inch ant glare screen and Active Matrix TFT Color LCD with a resolution of 1366×768.
- The battery life is great, with an approximate battery life of 8.5 hours.
- The latest wireless and Bluetooth 4.0 technology provides up to 3 times faster speed.
- The speakers provided do not give great sounds, so you would dislike it if you are looking for high quality sounds.
- The hardware and build quality is not that good.
Read our complete review of Acer chromebook CB3-111-C670
ASUS Chromebook 12 Inch
The Asus Chromeboook is one of the best choice for people looking for ASUS laptops under 200. It provides the best possible performance at this price range. It is powered by an Intel Dual-Core 2.16 GHz Processor and 2 GB of RAM. HD Webcam is provided along with a Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11A/C Ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
Pros and cons:
- The battery life is incredibly long, it can last up to 11 hours.
- Highly compact laptop with a thickness of just 0.8 inches. Being highly compact, it is extremely stylish.
- The built in high definition camera allows you to capture HD videos and have video chats even in low lights.
- The high quality stereo speakers provide really clear and high quality sound.
- The software can be a bit problematic at times.
- Some users have found problems in network and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Read our complete review of ASUS Chromebook C200MA-DS01
ASUS Chromebook C201PA-DS01
It serves as one of the most highly performing laptops under 200 with a Rockchip 32888-C Quad Core 1.8 GHz processor. It comes in two variants in terms of RAM. There are 2 GB and 4 GB versions of this laptop, both of which are available under 200 dollars. Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11A/C Ultra-fast Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 is provided. The 16 GB local flash storage is backed by 100 GB of Google drive storage for 2 years.
Pros and cons:
- Highly portable as it weighs only 2 pounds and its thickness is just 0.7 inches.
- The laptop performs very fast and loads really quickly.
- Battery life of up to 13 hours ensure that all day entertainment is provided.
- Some components are found to be not fully functional in this laptop, such as the wireless devices including Wi-Fi.
- There have been some software issues such as random restarts and freezes.
Read our complete review of ASUS Chromebook C201
ASUS 11.6″ Laptop X205TA-UH01-BK
This ASUS Laptop comes with a screen size of 11.6 inches and a display resolution of 1366×768. When it comes to the processor, this laptop is powered by an Intel Atom Z3735F processor which runs at a speed of 1.33 GHz. 2 GB of RAM is provided along with 32 GB of hard drive. It is powered by the Windows 8 operating system. Apart from that, you are also provided with a 100 GB of free OneDrive storage for a period of 2 years.
Pros and cons:
- Battery life is incredible. You can get as much as 12 hours of battery life on this laptop.
- It features a lightweight design, making it easy to carry wherever you go.
- The keyboard is very comfortable and typing is really easy.
- Not enough local memory is provided and system uses 12 GB of the available memory.
- The touchpad is prone to getting defective after some usage.
Read our complete review of ASUS X205TA UH01 BK
ASUS EeeBook X205TA-DS01 11.6-inch Laptop
This 11.6 inch laptop has a screen resolution of 1366 x 768. It is powered by an Intel Atom Z3735F processor which clocks at a speed of 1.33 GHz. It is backed by 2 GB of DDR3 RAM. 802.11 a/g/n wireless is provided with the laptop. It comes with the latest Windows 8.1 operating system. A flash memory of 32 GB is provided with the laptop.
Pros and cons:
- The quad core Intel processor comes with a 2 sec Instant On functionality which provides superior performance and a quick resume from the standby mode.
- It is highly portable because of its slim design which is only 0.69 inches thin and weighs just 2.2 pounds.
- Long battery life of 12 hours is provided.
- Software issues such as freezing and black screen are frequently found in this laptop.
- The internet connectivity is found to be slow.
Read our complete review of ASUS Eeebook x205ta-ds01
HP Elitebook 8440p Laptop Notebook Computer
This laptop is powered by the Intel Core i5 processor. Along with that, 4 GB of DDR3 SDRAM is provided. The size of the laptop’s screen is 14.1 inches. 250 GB of hard drive is also provided. This laptop runs on the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. The weight of the laptop is approximately 4.5 pounds.
Pros and cons:
- The quality of display is great, with no dead pixels
- It produces amazingly clear and high quality sound.
- The wireless networking on this laptop is exceptionally smooth and easy.
- Since it is a refurbished product, you might find scratches or marks on the body of the laptop.
- This laptop does not come equipped with a camera or video card
Read our complete review of HP Elitebook 8440P